That's one of the reasons I'm doing this blog, to record the difficulties, obstacles, and the constraints of using these technologies to create this project. Another reason I'm doing it is that since I began this, I wanted to include myself as a participant in my study, but quickly realized that that wasn't going to happen, because of obvious biases and blindspots. So this blog is a chance to analyze my process, at least informally. Even if no one reads it (likely), I'll have a chance to reflect on my process in almost real-time, as I'm creating the site.
So let's start at the beginning with invention. How did I generate this topic? Like my friend Mike J., I started with a mindmap. To create a mindmap I used a deceptively simple program called Mindnode, which is a highly capable piece of mindmapping software. It even allows you to embed your mindmaps on websites, like this:
Beyond that, it's simply useful. Interestingly, as I said, Mike did this very same thing, but on a whiteboard (check that out here). We're doing the same thing, but he's taking the analog approach and I the digital, but in the end it has pretty much the same effect: the free (as in free association) invention of ideas and the visual representation of their connections. It's a powerful (and incredibly non-linear) tool for invention.
But even after the ideas in my head are translated to their visual representations on the mindmap, a seemingly endless number of further translations must occur, such as, well, the translations of this mindmap into English sentences on my Weebly page.
Anyway, that's a little look into the first step of this project.